Website design and SEO or Search engine optimisation, is the art of getting your website high in the Google, Yahoo and Bing search results.
This is vital if you want your website to be found by people typing in common search phrases.200 SIGNALS:~ Google informs us that there are over 200 different 'signals' that they look for in determining where a website comes for any given search term... and they are top secret (Really!) The algorithm (computer programs) that determines this, is affectionately called 'Googlebot' and Yahoo's is called 'Slurp' The more competitive, or popular the search term, the greater the challenge in getting on Page 1 of the search results. More traffic = more sales.. Plus, the challenge grows daily. The algorithm is ever evolving, so websites need to evolve with it! We (accidentally) discovered a few things about this a few years ago when we were deciding to take on the 800lb gorillas in real estate search. Could we even get on Page 1? ~ Well, we set to work and within 4 months, we had even taken the Number 1 spot for primary search terms! A person once said to me "If I only knew what people were typing in, I would have had a lot more success!" Well, we do!- Yes, we actually know what people are typing in and where your website comes in relation to that search term. Googles new update, called 'Hummingbird' can now understand the meaning behind the search query, as opposed to picking out key search words. Basically, it can now answer the question being asked! It's lot like fishing. Your 'boat' is your website, out there looking for 'fish' (people who want to buy what you are offering) The 'ocean' is the Internet (That's why Telstra calls it Big Pond) The people who decide where you boat anchors (Where your website comes in relation to search terms) are the algorithms. The problem is, there may not be many 'fish' where they tell you to anchor! (or Page 3 of the results)
We, like Google, also know how to detect 'signals' as to what people are typing in and where a particular website comes.. We can then 'adjust' the website (move it closer to where the fish are) We call them our 'sonar stations' We currently have over 4 years of search terms for the real estate industry alone..People type in all sorts of things! We get around 150 different real estate search terms for a single suburb... each month! This knowledge is invaluable! They say "It's not 'what' you know, but 'who' you know!" ~ Well, in the world of Search, they are wrong.. It's definitely 'what' you know! and we have a 'lot' of collected knowledge in that area over the years.. That's one of the reasons all our websites appear high in the search results..
Getting onto page 1, is no longer just 'keywords' - It's a 12 month strategy covering many different aspects. Even getting into the Google index can take up to 3 months for new websites!!
TOP OF PAGE
Yesterday, it was "botties on seats"
Today, it is "eyeballs on screens"
* Google releases 'Hummingbird" algorithm search update.
* There are over 200 different signals that Googles 'secret sauce' looks for in determining where your website appears to any given search term.
* There were over 500 changes to that last year alone.
* Social media now plays a big part in the overall factors that Googlebot considers.
* It can now take up to 12 months to climb up page 1, due to some of the recent algorithm changes
* There is no guarantee that Google will even list your site in its directory any more.
* Paid search is now taking over Page 1 results on Google.
* Google Local (Places) is now ranks extremely high on Page 1. You type in a 'towns name' and the algorithm and search results change.
* Getting on page 1, is now a 12+ month ongoing strategy for popular search terms.Competition for a page 1 result is increasing rapidly, as more businesses realise its value.
*Disclaimer: Whilst no one can guarantee a first or second page result for high ranking search terms. ALL our sites to date have!
Including number 1 spots on Google Australia.
One also getting the number 1 ranking spot on Yahoo7. Search engines often change the algorithms that determines website positions in their search results.. and whilst we cannot g'tee a first or second page ranking,
Our results to date, speak for themselves..
Home Page: Back to Home